Dominical, Costa Rica will be our next stop after Pavones. We haven’t decided how long were gonna stay in Dominical. All we do know is that this small surf community is a favorite to everyone we have talked with. From what we have heard Dominical has yet to become a tourist trap. Most of the restaurants and hotels are small family owned operations. The attitude and lifestyle is real friendly and laid back. Which is exactly what were looking for!
Our main plan is to see as much as possible, but we really aren’t sticking to a schedule. So if we fall in love with this place we might stay for awhile. As of now we are scheduled to spend our Christmas in Dominical. I can’t tell you how excited I am to spend Christmas with sand on my feet, beer in hand, sun on my face and a good surf session!
I tried to find a good video, but no such luck. I guess people are trying to keep this place a secret for as long as possible. But I did find this video.
a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! I’m gonna be spending Thanksgiving with one of my friends and his family. Were gonna have two turkeys, one for the oven and one deep fried. I’m really looking forward to the deep fried one because I have never had a deep fried turkey before.
I have a lot of things to be thankful for this year. First and foremost all of my wonderful clients need a big round of applause. Without you I would not be able to do what I love, photography. I’m also thankful for my family. Although I don’t get to see you all the time I sure love all of you! My friends need a big shout out as well. They get the brunt of my venting and bad attitude when I’ve been working to much. On the flip side, they are the ones who always find a way to put that smile back on my face. I also want to thank the troops and all of their families. I’m not a big supporter of this war at all! But the fact remains we do have troops in Iraq and they are risking their lives for our country every day. So I hope all of them get to have some deep fried turkey as well!
I thought this video was perfect for today. Enjoy.
I received word last week that one of my wakeboard images was published in Alliance Wakeboard Magazine. I’m pumped because this is a shot of my best friend Rick Knott. Rick single handedly has influenced me to start shooting wakeboarding images. I’ve actually been shooting with him for over 3 years now and this is the first shot of him that has ran in a publication. Not only that but it made the prestigious photo annual! Be sure to stop by your local magazine rack to check it out!
Rick and I got together on Tuesday to layout our Cost Rica trip. Our first stop is Pavones which is Costa Rica’s southern Pacific Coast. This is a really desolate area of Costa Rica which is why we wanted to hit this spot first. Well thats not the only reason, Pavones actually has one of the longest waves in the world. The wave is actually a half mile ride! Being from California this is something that I have never heard of! Check out the video below.
Today I spent half my day working on my workshop teaser with Dan Human of Famewalk Productions. I had no idea how much work and time it takes to create a video. I’m only planning on making a 3-5 minutes teaser and I’m assuming it will take at least 24 hours of editing time! This photo was taken with my iphone in Dan’s editing suite.
I LOVE Boise! The town has so much going on, lots to do and one of my really good photo friends lives there, Matt Green (aka MFMG). Matt runs the Boise studio of Pomerelle Portraits and he has been photographer of the year twice! I was hoping to shoot some models out at the sand dunes but the weather didn’t cooperate with us. So we decided to head out on a little photo safari.
My goal for this shoot was to use one lens and use the same f/stop for each image. Which I did follow through with except on one image (every image was shot with my 50mm f/1.2 at 1.2). As were driving down the road we noticed a small 4 point buck with his lady friends. So obviously I had to put the big lens on and let Matt shoot away. Check out the shots below.
We decided to turn around after we read this sign!
Skiing is one of my biggest loves in life. There is nothing better than having 50 inches of fresh powder, your good buddies and a day of endless pow! I’ll being skiing Schweitzer most of this year (since I have a seasons pass) and making a couple trips to Snowbird to go ski with the homies. So if anyone wants to meet up and ski this year let me know.
I also want to give a shout out to to my good friend Rick Knot. Its his birthday today (second annual 30 th b-day) so if you know him heres your reminder. If you don’t, feel free to wish him a happy birthday in the comments and I will pass them along.
I’m off to Boise and won’t be back home till Monday.
I reviewed my blogging calendar and realized that I have not been posting as much. This is probably because I have not been shooting as much and instead I’ve been focusing on designing albums and sending them off to Italy for printing. But there is no reason why I can’t find time to post a little something on here twice if not more a week. I mean the purpose of my blog is to showcase my current work and allow my blog stalkers to get an idea on who I am as a person as well. So with that said, I will start to post as often as possible. Some topics may be strange and out there, some may be about current world events or maybe I will ask my readers question’s. Either way my goal is to post more frequently.
Random’s for your Tuesday reading……..
1. I’m thinking about investing in gold. I’m a big reader of Gary Fong’s blog. Gary is a very wealthy man who made his money investing in real estate while he was a photographer. He then branched out and started creating products for professional photographers. Needless to say he has done really well for himself. If you get a chance check out his blog. It’s not only filled with photographers info, but more importantly he talks in great depth on the future of our economy. When Gary first started talking about what was going to happen to our economy (about 1.5 years ago) I didn’t believe him. He then started sharing wisdom on what he would be doing right now to prepare for the future. He said the first thing to do is invest in gold. At that time gold was $310 an ounce. I looked into it for a bit and decided to wait. Today gold is $803 an ounce and I’m kicking myself. If I would have bought 10 ounces worth of gold then it would have cost me $3100. 1.5 years later (meaning today), I would have made 4930.00 on my gold investment alone. So am I going to buy gold now when its $803 and ounce? YES, I just can’t afford as much. Maybe your asking why? Because gold is expected to reach $2000 and ounce! Readers, if gold does get to 2K an ounce, money will be worthless and precious metals will be the new currency!
2. I’ve been bidding on this really cool job for a couple weeks now. If I get it I will be shooting high end fashion head shots for a local salon. Most of the images will be for local advertising and PR. The main reason I want this job is because I want this imagery for my portfolio. I will be launching a new division of SWP and these images would fit perfect! So if your reading this Lisa & Jenny I hope you guys say yes!
3. I’m headed to Costa Rica in December for some R & R and adventure. I have no plans except for renting a car and going where the road takes me. So I’m looking for places to go etc. If you have been there before please comment on where to go and what you enjoyed most. Keep in mind I’m not a tourist guy. I would rather avoid those locations!
4. The Eagles are coming! Every year Bald Eagles fly down to Lake CDA to feast on the salmon. I was out looking for them today and I found 2. Within a month there will be at least 100. If you get a chance drive over and check them out.
5. Pakistan is a mess! I’m glad we gave the all this money and arms to start a democracy and now it “appears” to be a dictatorship. Here is a question ” who believes that we should impose our beliefs on the world”? Why or why not?
6. When did our society get to the point where we just throw people, objects, marriages or significant others out of our lives just because they or “it” don’t fit our wants at the current time? What happened to fixing what was broken? Or talking things out? Instead we say good buy and either look for someone or buy something new. What a vicious and unhealthy cycle. Don’t you think?
7. I want to end this post on a positive note. Click here for a good deed by a fellow citizen in Colorado.